Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Heights and Depths
Life is a journey that involves scaling towering mountains and crossing deep lakes. I recently enjoyed reading the story of a woman's journey over part of the Pacific Crest Trail, extending from Mexico to Washington. Cheryl Strayed wrote of her adventures in her book, "Wild." Her internal journey mirrors and is impacted by the rigors and joys of her challenging and demanding travels. She shares one particular image that has been a wonderful encouragement to me. As she is looking over the deep blue waters of Crater Lake in Oregon she is struck that this extraordinary body of water was created by the eruption of Mount Mazama. The heart of the mountain exploded, leaving bleak destruction in its wake. Many years later, that same mountain destroyed became the vessel for what is now one of the deepest and most beautiful lakes in the world. It's unique and pure blue waters are a feast for the eye and a source of great wonder and refreshment.
Sometimes we go through volcanic times where it feels like our hearts are destroyed. Those very places of pain and woundedness can become vessels filled with living water giving refreshment, encouragement and joy. I pray that those areas of destruction in me may be transformed and filled by God so that I can be a vessel overflowing with the living water of love. The prophet Isaiah encourages those who are suffering. "When you cry for help, God will say: Here am I. He will guide you and strengthen you and you will be like a spring whose waters never fail" (Isaiah 58:9,11). Later, Jesus specifically holds true to that promise, befriending a desolate and hurting woman and offering her living springs of life giving water. (John 4:10,13)
I cry out to God to fill me to overflowing with His refreshing springs of the waters of love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Whenever I am going through a hard time, I always try to think of it is growth; chaos comes before change. The hard times are always the most difficult times to believe this, but the it's the hope that "this too shall pass" that keeps me going.
ReplyDeleteI wish you a restful weekend ahead!
Thanks for your wise encouragement Melissa! I miss you, sitting there at your desk across from mine.
ReplyDelete