Thursday, 10 January 2013

Gears Grinding!

There have been lots of harsh gears grinding this week as we attempt to pull ourselves back into the routine of life after our Christmas break.  Somehow those gear shifts are much more difficult for our children who have had to make so many major shifts in their lives before.  In this case, practice does not make perfect;  these kids have had too many changes and now change is much more difficult.  All our kids are tired and on edge this week.  With some I feel like we have taken ten steps backward after a lovely holiday time. Discombobulation is the mood of the week for us all!  I must say the shift has been most difficult for me, even without those previous traumatic childhood changes.  The change of pace made me vulnerable to a cough and I have had to be off work. I was so disappointed to miss a book club meeting where I was looking forward to discussing a fascinating book that I have enjoyed.  I have not been up to my normal organizational speed.  Today I misjudged and left an older child at the dentist for a half hour past closing time,  keeping one of the secretaries at her work after an already long day.  I am mortified and am busy trying to think about what I can do to make up for my mistake that cost her precious time!  My home, too, seems to move into chaos rapidly when I am not constantly on top of organizing and cleaning.  Masses of piles of paper are collecting all over the house, and I am feeling like I am getting more behind by the minute!   Today the children had a great time watching balls of dog hair rising over the heat register while my allergic husband sounds like he is coming down with my cough!

Life!  Often it does feel that things fall into confusion and chaos when we lose the timing of our shift changes. I am practicing letting go and relaxing, knowing that one of these days we will adjust and regain our energy and stride.  Meanwhile, what can we learn?  We will remember to breathe and get enough sleep.  We will pray and lean on God's love.  We will give each other just a little more love and leeway in all things.  We will smile and laugh at each other's jokes  We will remember that grinding gears is all part of learning to drive. Life is made up of both the chaos and the order and both are parts of  our being!  May all this keep us humble and teachable and all the more ready to forgive and understand others in these inevitable times of discombobulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment