Thursday, 3 January 2013

The Exodus

After a full and somewhat intense Christmas holiday at home, our oldest four have again headed off to their various homes afar.  It has felt like an exodus of sorts.  Not that their time here was  one of restrictive slavery, but that each  has been lead forward to their own lives and callings elsewhere.   It has been an act of faith for each of these individuals to cross their own rivers of challenge, doubt and fear to move into the different lands where they are to be planted and grow.

I have always been a person who loves change and adventure myself!  In my earlier days I usually only worked in one place for a couple of years at a time.  I was always off on some new tangent or adventure and actually am trained in three different career options!  Ever since I was a little girl, I have always wanted to live and work with those in need in far flung places such as Africa and South America. Even adopting was for me part of my adventurous spirit.  Sometimes the very hardest thing for me is to stay put and get on with being faithful in the ordinary things of life here without a lot of external change.  I am always wondering about that next adventure and find it hard to not be looking across the fence where there might be greener and more exciting pastures.  As another new year unfolds, these feelings intensify for me and I am forever looking around the corner for new opportunities of living.  Today as we took one of our boys to his university in a neighbouring city I could not help but wonder if maybe we should consider a move there!  As we took a sightseeing drive on this gloriously sunny day of white mountains and blue sea, I knew in my heart that no matter how exciting a move to that beautiful town would be, it is not our calling for now.

Some of my external wandering has actually diverted my attention from the unrest in my heart and soul.  These days I am wanting my exodus journey to be a hidden journey of the heart where I learn to be more lovingly content and at peace no matter where I am or what I am doing.  We all do know that no matter where we live or what we are doing, it is the deep qualities of ourselves that we take with us and that are most important.  Sometimes it is just so easy to be diverted from growing in those more hidden, but centrally important wellspring journeys of peace and love deep in ourselves.  It is hard to know how to begin.  Of course sometimes we are called to more outward journeys of life, but usually most of our lives are spent being faithful in those daily ordinary steps of faithful love and care in the little things right there in front of us.  That is where I want to begin and end my journey this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment