I am a yes person. I am always on the lookout for where I can say yes. Sometimes it is much harder to say no. No is equally as important as yes.
There have been many further chapters unwritten on the appearing and disappearing cat in our lives. He appeared again for quite some time. Enough time that I bought food and a litter box and made an appointment for taking him to the vet. We drafted up plans for his winter home outside as some of our crew are allergic and he could not live inside. I praised myself for being so kind and openhearted to this stray. God was using us to care for him. He was becoming part of the family in spite of his propensity to stay away for long periods.
He was significant enough to be part of the big family news. One son was recounting the story of the cat while away at college in a town many miles away. Listening to the story was a fellow student who lives near us when she is not a student. She recognized her cat. The family had recently got a dog and despite numerous attempts to reassure the cat, he had decided that there was no longer room for him in their home. Our cat has a name and a family and many people who love him and have missed him.
We took him immediately down our road to his rightful home.
The cat keeps coming back. We have given away his food and his supplies. He has a home and people who love him. We are not his home. I let our dog bark at him and scare him away. He needs to go where he belongs and get used to the changes in his own home. We were making it way too easy for him to avoid the adjustments that he is fully able to make.
I am reminded that I need to be careful. Not all the ways that I think God is leading me to be of use are legitimate. I need to be careful that in my own desire to feel useful, I am not enabling others to avoid their own places where they need to say yes. I actually really do like the cat in our lives. I like being the person that attracts the strays. It is hard to say no.
May I have wisdom to know when it is right to say no.
No comments:
Post a Comment