My three youngest daughters are on a volleyball team at their school. They call them the power girls. They are full of energy and determination. They hit that ball hard. Not always in the right direction or with measured force, but with power. I was sure one of my girl's hits was going to go right through the roof yesterday. Just as well they are at a small school where the boys and girls have to combine forces to make a team for the boy's league.
One of the girls is particularly eager both on the volleyball court and in life. Someone told her they would have to do push ups if they did not go for the ball, so go for the ball she does. She plays the game like she is the only person on the court, running from corner to corner, banging into everyone in her way. Of course the ball never gets over the net and the other team members are frustrated, but my daughter does not notice. At least she goes for the ball and hopes she will not have to do push ups.
Actually, eager daughter reminds me of myself. I do not get the fact that I have my own special corner of the court to play in. I always feel that I have to be involved all over the court of life. I inadvertently push others aside in an attempt to be sure that I play the ball and can be the centre of the action. Somehow I cannot trust that if I take care of my own area then that will help the whole team play together effectively. I feel guilty and ineffective if I am not running wildly all over. I always feel like I can never do quite enough.
I want to learn to settle down and be content in my own corner. Sometimes the boundary lines of involvement are not clear. I am never quite sure where those lines are. I am trying to more effectively listen to my own heart and God's still voice there. I am seeking out coaches who I respect to give me perspective and insight. I am trying to be more sensitive to the feelings of those around me. I have powerful eagerness too. Now I just need to work on refining how I play this game called life.
No comments:
Post a Comment