Saturday, 24 November 2012

The Full Table

The time of Thanksgiving and Christmas cheer is upon us.  Lights are beginning to flicker and carols are sung on the radio.  Last week was my first Christmas dinner of the season.  We had a festive lunch at my work, complete with turkey and carols and even square dancing.   I arrived a bit late for the lunch, only to find most of the tables full.  I wandered around, looking for a spare seat, but most were taken or saved for others.  My heart sank and I felt a bit of desperation and  tightness in my throat.  Old feelings of insecurity from way back in my high school years flooded back!  Finally some friends welcomed me and pulled up a spare seat.  I was relieved.  Deep down I was shocked by the power of those old feelings of being left out.  I thought immediately of my own youngest children who waited so long to find families of their own.  They never felt like they belonged.  They did not have their own special place at the round family table.  Our youngest three had experiences of settling in other families but were soon rejected and  told that they were not quite right.

I have spoken on panels at adoption gatherings  twice in the last few weeks.  I am passionate about helping children find their place in families.  Right here in our community there are many children living in uncertainty and without special families of their own.  As you sit down to tables full with food this holiday season, remember to make sure that they are not exclusively full.  Pull up an extra chair for someone you may not know.  Remember all those around us who do not feel like they are included or belong.  Pray for all the kids in our community who are praying each night for their own family.  If you can, consider adopting a child yourself!  Regardless, be sure that those full tables always have room for one more.

No comments:

Post a Comment